Geography unit is taught in the Spring and Summer term
- To observe surroundings and recall them
- Children go for a walk and draw all the things that they see on their walk .
- Look through photos of the physical and human features around them and talk about who made them? People or nature
- Look at a map of England and talk about what they see.
- Refer the top as the North and bottom as the South.
- Look at Ariel map of Goodmayes and ask children what do they see?
- Point to their playground. Why does it look like this. Explain it is taken from the air and is our school. Say it’s a Ariel photograph. Ask who can see our school like this ? People on planes , birds , insects, if you live in a tall flat etc
- Identify similarities and differences to different places.
- Using pictures of different places discuss with children how they are different .
- Identify similarities and differences to different types of houses.
- Using pictures and videos children engage in how people live in different parts of the world. What is the place made of and why?
- Discuss benefits of living in a place
- Show children people living near the sea, in cities, near mountains, countryside or even a jungle. Can they identify the benefits of living in such places. Talk about food, health and environment
- Recap on how humans and animals live. On a map show children where people live and how we know this and where animals live. Can they tell where and how. Give children a map of different places and children match the living thing to the correct habitat.