At Goodmayes Primary School, we provide a values-based curriculum. This means that we teach a set of values to our pupils that help them develop the skills to achieve their goals and become good citizens in the future. Teaching children values improves pupils’ self-esteem, improves their behaviour and raises standards of learning.
What are Values?
Values are the things we believe in, such as kindness, equality and respect, that help us to make decisions about how to behave. They are a set of tools that we carry with us all our lives that guide our actions.
Our Core Values
Living The Values,
Come Rain or Shine
- The recognition that everyone is important and special.
- Consideration for the feelings, rights and wishes of others.
- A feeling of admiration for others because of their good qualities, actions or achievements.
We show respect by:
- listening to others
- valuing others people’s ideas and advice
- looking after property and the environment at home and at school
- thinking before we speak
- treating others how we wish to be treated
- being polite – saying please and thank you
- Showing courtesy by helping others
- A positive relationship between people who care about each other.
- A feeling of happiness as a result of spending time in the company of others
We show friendship by:
- Playing with others
- Helping others
- Giving good and helpful advice
- Being kind and thoughtful
- Saying kind things
- Thinking about how our actions and words can affect others
- Showing support to someone experiencing difficulties
- Showing forgiveness
- Working together as part of a harmonious community
- An understanding of how the contribution of individual experiences, points of view and skills can make us stronger together
We show unity by:
- Learning about and valuing each other
- Helping each other
- Collaborating to achieve shared outcomes and goals
- Talking pride in our class and school community
- Celebrating the achievements of others as well as ourselves
- The ambition to achieve excellence.
- Motivation to be the best we can be.
We show ambition by:
- Believing in ourselves and having an “I can” attitude
- Aiming high
- Showing perseverance in working towards our goals
- Not limiting ourselves
Our school Values are woven into teaching and learning in order to develop improved social and emotional skills that will positively affect pupils’ behaviour and happiness. Children also learn about and discuss our values during circle times and in assembly times.